Creating an app for multiple platforms requires time, resources and competencies. That is why combined solutions become more and more popular. Ionic Framework allows us to create applications for multiple platforms using only one codebase. Let’s find out how does it work and what are the advantages and disadvantages of Ionic.
Ionic Framework — How Does It Work?
Ionic is a framework based on Apache Cordova and Angular. It enables us to build fully functional and advanced mobile apps using web technologies.
To create an app with Ionic Framework, you only need to know web technologies like Angular, HTML, and CSS. Ionic transforms a single code written in Angular, HTML, and Saas into a mobile app. Cordova is responsible for implementing a native part of an application.
An application created using Ionic Framework is a cross-platform app. It is built like a simple web app, but allows us to generate a native app. It has access to all functionalities specific to the phone.
As a result, cross-platform apps are not purely native and not entirely web-based. The layout is done via web views, but the app has access to native device’s APIs.
Combining the native part with a web part gives us a universally applicable solution. An app can be displayed natively and in the browser. Writing once, we can run an app on iOS, Android, Windows, and as a web app. It’s convenient for both business owners and developers.
Advantages of Ionic Framework
As we said, Ionic Framework is based on well-known technologies. That’s why many developers immediately know how to develop with it. Ionic team doesn’t have to know all of the subtleties connected to each mobile platform. With Ionic, they use popular tools and programming languages.
Moreover, Ionic provides a wide range of components and plugins. A library offers components which act and look like native ones of all of the supported platforms. With Ionic, we are available to use a complete app development kit. We have a rich library of front-end building blocks and UI components. As well as hundreds of most common app icons. Also, plugins provide us with access to phone features, such as Bluetooth, GPS or photo camera.
What is more, Ionic provides developers with fully equipped documentation. Most of the things are gathered on the official site. Documentation is accessible and very detailed. Ionic Framework is open source. All the programmers can join the Ionic developers’ community, a forum which is excellent for sharing and getting help. In case of any problems we can also count on special assistance for enterprises. If something won’t work, we may call for support.
If You Are a Business Owner
- Using Ionic will help you cut the costs. You won’t have to hire a specialist for every platform or train your employees on new technologies. Ionic uses well-known solutions.
- Ionic will help you save some time. Creating an app for every platform would be time-consuming. Thanks to Ionic, you need to develop only one app based on simple web technologies.
If You Are a Developer
- Ionic Framework offers you a wide range of plugins and UI components to make your app look professional.
- Ionic provides you with full, detailed documentation and support.
- You don’t need to know every programming language for mobile app development to create a native app with Ionic.
- If something doesn’t work, you may ask for backup for an enterprise or ask Ionic developers community for help.
Disadvantages of Ionic Framework
Creating a cross-platform app for multiple platforms using only one code base may be off the charts. But we also have to focus on some disadvantages of using Ionic.
The performance of an app made with Ionic is a little worse than a native app’s one. However, the performance gap is not noticeable for an average user. Ionic is also not the best for heavy graphical stuff like video games or 3D.
Additionally, in cross-platform app we need to bear in mind security problems that occur in both web and native mobile apps. It becomes a little complicated but developers can handle that problem easily using proper security solutions. Cross-platform apps don’t create any more risk than native or web applications.
If You Are a Business Owner
- Your developers have to secure the app keeping in mind both web and native app security solutions.
- Remember, that a native app created in its programming language will be a little faster than Ionic app. However, average users won’t notice the performance gap.
If You Are a Developer
- Ionic Framework won’t be perfect for you if you want to create a video game.
- You may have to handle security problems that occur in both web and native apps. However, it’s not a hard task.
Is It Worth To Create Apps With Ionic?
Ionic is a tool which enables us to build a cross-platform app with web technology. A single developer can build a cross-platform app with only one codebase. Ionic app may need some more security features than a native one. Although, a solid developer will surely handle it. A cross-platform app doesn’t create any more risk than a native or web one.
To sum up, Ionic allows you to save money, time and create a fully functional, advanced mobile app for multiple platforms and web simultaneously.